Monday, September 20, 2010

Sick Sister Sunday

We actually cooked on Sunday this week because Monday was full of other running around. I now remember why we don't cook on Sundays - the grocery store was a zoo. I had two recipes that I have been wanting to play with, the first was a Asian Chicken Soup I tasted at a food show, the second was a Seafood Pot Pie. Since there was a chance I would be the only one to like these recipes we also made Macaroni and Ground Beef which is good hot or cold, fresh or the days after. We also made chicken wings and decided it was way easier to just order them next time! Poor Erin was sick this weekend and could not really taste anything so hopefully there will be something left for her when she is back to normal. Monday came and we just had to have something sweet so we made Snickerdoodle cookies too.

Asian Chicken Soup
I just made this up based on what I remembered from the sample that I tasted at the food show.
two large cans chicken broth
half a box of spaghetti noodles
4 chicken thighs
green onions
shitake mushrooms
thai chili garlic paste, about a tablespoon was more than enough for me

I just cooked the spaghetti noodles and chicken thighs (bone in skin on then diced up just the meat) then added everything into the broth till it tasted good.
I will break the noodles next time so they are not slapping me in the face as I eat the soup.






Seafood Pot Pie
I got this idea from a menu somewhere that I was reading, this is what I came up with:
2 cans cream of celery soup
1 pint whipping cream
tarragon
celery, pearl onions, carrots, peas
shrimp, scallops, crab
saute the veges until soft, saute the scallops until just done, I used precooked shrimp and crab but if you use raw cook those too
stir it all together with the cans of cream of celery soup and the whipping cream and pour into a 9 x 13 pan.
I made a homemade pie crust but you can easily use store bought and cover the dish, brush the top with an egg wash and bake until golden brown and bubblylicous.




Macaroni and Beef
one box elbow macaroni
2 cans tomato sauce
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 green peppers
2 onions
a couple pounds ground beef
salt and pepper
Brown up the meat with the onions, peppers and salt/pepper
Boil the noodles and stir it all together, super simple and cheap!




The Chicken Wings were both hot sauced and sweet teriyaki sauced, super good just too much work when you can get them anywhere.


Snickerdoodle Cookies:

* 1 cup butter
* 1 1/2 cups sugar
* 2 large eggs
* 2 3/4 cups flour
* 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 3 tablespoons sugar
* 3 teaspoons cinnamon

1. 1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. 2 Mix butter, 1 1/2 cups sugar and eggs thoroughly in a large bowl.
3. 3 Combine flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl.
4. 4 Blend dry ingredients into butter mixture.
5. 5 Chill dough, and chill an ungreased cookie sheet for about 10-15 minutes in the fridge.
6. 6 Meanwhile, mix 3 tablespoons sugar, and 3 teaspoons cinnamon in a small bowl.
7. 7 Scoop 1 inch globs of dough into the sugar/ cinnamon mixture.
8. 8 Coat by gently rolling balls of dough in the sugar mixture.
9. 9 Place on chilled ungreased cookie sheet, and bake 10 minutes.
10. 10 Remove from pan immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment